Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What I mean by "skeptical social work"

When I say I'm skeptical about something, I mean it as a positive thing.  I mean that I'm interested by it, by thinking about it, and that I want to know more.  I mean it in the sense that I don't have answer or an explanation I'm satisfied with.  For example, if I'm skeptical about little lights in my backyard at night, it means I'm not sure what's causing them and I'd like to find out.  Is it fireflies?  Dust motes reflecting the beam of my flashlight?  The reflection on the back of a cat's retina?  I don't know!  But I want to know, and I'm going to do some reading, and hands on research, and talking to people to find out.

I try to approach everything this way, which is probably why I did so well as a History major in undergrad.  I love learning new things, and want to do that in the most respectful way possible.  I also love teaching new things to others, and am hoping to experience this back and forth more often.

I also love social theories, and would like to talk about them even more than I already do in class.  Which is a lot.  I am a fan of social action, and yes, I call my representatives and go to rallies and volunteer with organizations who do things I care about.  I also think part of social action is talking with other people, hearing their perspectives, and thinking about all that.  It isn't the end all be all, but any time someone tells me to "stop talking about it and do something productive" I hear some derailing behind that sentiment.

So, when I say I want to practice "skeptical social work", I mean I want to bring these things to my current and future practice of social work.  I want to always be learning new things, because there will never be a time I know it all.  I want to keep an open mind just as much as I want to keep known facts in that open mind.  I want to keep my privledge in mind, try not to trip over it, and to apologize honestly and learn from the times I do.  I want to build my love of social justice into my practice, and always give a little bit of agency to my clients while addressing the other things they want me to address.  And hopefully somewhere in there get a little better at self care.

This is how I think, and how I feel, so it's going to end up being how I practice even if I don't intend it to be.  I'd prefer it to be intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment